Friday, April 11, 2008

Our Last Night!

I can't believe it's our last night in New Orleans. We just got here and now we have to leave. This trip has been a blast and I'm sure tomorrow will be just as great as the rest of the trip.





We had to get up early again (wakeup call was at 615!) and today we went to Lusher. It was really hot and humid today, nothing like it is at home (I'm hearing rumors of snow on Monday? Not cool.) So anyways, we got there and had to empty the bus super quickly. While we were unloading, a group of kids were outside playing for us. It was really cool that that's the kind of stuff they do here, just set up a random band and have kids dancing outside before school starts. We got a tour of the school from some of the students, here's my tour group (the girls who aren't in the hideous purple shirts were our tour guides):


We also got to eat a real New Orleans Breakfast, Biscuits and King Cake. I thought it was really good. Different, but good.

Then the Jazz Bands got to play. Jason played with their band and a few kids played with ours. It sounded so good and they all were great musicians. Then the orchestra played with a clinician and the strings from Lusher. That was cool, it was so nice to hear so many strings.

After the orchestra, the concert band played with kids from Lusher. The group was huge and we all got along so well and made such great music.

It was a great expierence for us all. We all forged lifelong connections and made lasting memories. The Lusher kids were so grateful for everything we did. It was a lot of fun too, helping out and playing with them and all that jazz. I'll definately never forget it and I'm sure nobody else will either.

After Lusher, we went to the Audobon Zoo. We got to walk around and just enjoy the Zoo so it was nice.

We had a city tour after that, we walked around the French Quarter and learned all about the history. That was interesting, very long and very tiring, but I got to see Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's house so that's all that matters.

We had an outside concert after our tour. People really seemed to enjoy that. Even Shukri's cousins came out to watch. It was windy but we got to play on the banks of the Mississippi, how cool is that? We had the dinner cruise afterwards, the Jazz Band got to play on the boat. Also really super cool. We danced and ate and had a lot of fun. There are plenty of pictures, I promise, but I'm having trouble uploading them so I'll get those up ASAP.

I've got a lot of packing and stuff to do so I must leave you. I don't know when I'll be able to post again, this might be the last one until we're home but I promise I'll get those pictures up when I get home.

6 comments:

Alex Hubbard said...

The bus ride is over! I'm home :D The trip was great. I'm so anxious to charge up my camera and phone to show everybody my smexy pictures just like everybody else.

I hope I wasn't the only one who had fun! 8D

-Alex

Anonymous said...

I'm home too. This was the best trip ever!! Thanks Mr. A. As soon as I got home I told my family all about what I have been through. Then I charged my phone. I'm so glad that I had this experience.
Thanks again! : ]
-Lauren

Anonymous said...

I knew this trip was going to be good, but I had no idea it would be so spectacular. I definitely plan to go back as soon as I get the chance, maybe do some humanitarian work. I definitely want to help more and feel like it would be greatly appreciated. This trip was worth everything, including that bus ride. Too bad we couldn't stay another day or two.

-Molly =]

Anonymous said...

This trip was soo much fun!!!!
Im glad to be off the bus but not glad to be back in this buffalo weather..... But this will be a trip to remember forever!

Anonymous said...

We were so excited to see your buses turning the corner to school! It sounds like this was a memorable trip for everyone. We're proud of all that you accomplished.

Mrs G

Anonymous said...

Well, now that we have all gotten a good night's sleep, let me tell you what a trip it was. The kids on the trip were outstanding. they pulled together and did what had to be done. They were enthusiastic about what they were doing even though many of them didn't know what to expect. Report cards arrived in the mail while we were gone. Yes, it told the parents how well the students were doing in Math and English but the experience these kids got while in New Orleans will be one they will never forget and one they coud never receive in the classroom. Many of the students were given a hard time by their teachers because they were missing so much classroom time. This was a trip of a lifetime. It will help them all become better adults and leaders of our community. If you see one of the kids from the trip, ask them about it. You will be amazed. parents, you should be proud of your child, I know I am proud of all the kids that went. Teenagers often get a bad rap. These kids showed us how to be a better human being. Be proud. Thank you to all of our supporters.